Girl About Town Top 10 summer beauty & style picks!

Monday, May 30, 2011

To start, (forgive me for the blurry pics) Here are my 2011 Girl About Town summer beauty and style picks! Most of these items are tried and true and field tested by yours truly, and some of them are highly coveted by yours truly.


I'm not forgiving of low quality and expensive products, that are all glitzy marketing and nothing good in the package. Especially makeup. As a busy girl about town, I don't have time to fuss with stuff that doesn't work, so if it's not awesome, I don't bother. You'll notice many of these products are eco-friendly, socially conscious and sustainable; because we all want to do our part, but don't want to sacrifice quality and style. These items are worth the cash and the time to use them! Please feel free to share your favorite summer style and beauty pics below!


1) Josie Maran Argan Oil: This still will change your life, I'm not kidding. Never has my skin looked as good as it does with this product. And it's eliminated the need for other products entirely! I mix it with lotion, use it on my cuticles, and put it on my scalp, and in my hair. Not to mention, Josie Maran works with UNESCO to ensure the women of Morocco who harvest this oil are given the opportunity to earn a fair wage, and the Argan trees are protected. Learn more about these efforts here.


2) Argan Oil Color Stick in Posey: This color is universally flattering and goes on sheer and not greasy. Works great for cheeks and lips and chock full of antioxidants, as well as cruelty free and no parabens. The stick is huge, so it'll last you quite a while. It's perfect for on-the-go "crap I'm not wearing makeup" moments or touch-ups.


3) Naturally Knotty Bamboo Wrap: These are super soft, lightweight and won't pill. Bamboo is warm in the winter and breathable for summer. These scarves are 100% bamboo and so soft you'll want to wear it 24/7. I love scarves like this because in addition to being stylish, they're great for traveling. I don't actually own an NKD one! :( But my dog just ate a hole in my old pashmina (I kid not) So I'd like to replace it soon with one of these.


4) Josie Maran GOGO Instant Natural Volume Mascara: My eyelashes used to always fall out, but since I started using this mascara it's almost stopped. Of course it has Argan oil in it, but the best part is that for every one you buy, they give one to City of Hope for a cancer patient.


5) Argan Oil Hair Serum: I have a small size of this and I think I'm going to need to upgrade to the big size soon. It smells so good and makes your hair soft and shiny. If you've been at the beach and have sexy beachy waves going on, this will turn them into touchable and yummy smelling sexy beachy waves! :)


6) Josie Maran Eye Love You shadow palette: All-season colors, highly concentrated and just shimmery enough but not too shimmery. They didn't include ugly colors in here either, they're all wearable. I like how they come with a big mirror and the compact itself is really high quality. This compact knocks around in my purse and unlike my old Dior palette, the shadows haven't yet fallen out and made a crumbly mess. This formula doesn't make my eyes itch either.


7) Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock SPF 70: Before you bawk at the fact that it's SPF 70, to actually get the advertised sun protection you've got to slather it on thick. Nobody wears it like that. So if you want any kind of sun protection, get a higher SPF. This one isn't exactly sustainable, but so far I haven't found an eco-friendly and healthy one that really works, and I don't want to mess around with getting sunburned. I'm fair skinned with dark hair, so I've got to wear it, this one is not greasy, doesn't smell bad, and won't clog the pores on your face, neck and chest.


8) "Hannah" Aviator from Send the Trend: I love a pair of sassy aviators. These are only $29 at Send the Trend.com. These are more of a fashion accessory than a utility item though, if you're going to be in super strong sun, these don't have UV protection and aren't super dark. So opt for UV protection if you'll be in strong sun, by the pool or at the beach.


9) A neutral wedge: I am not recommending a certain pair, just because the heights and styles vary, but a neutral wedge will take you from day to night, casual to dressy. You'll wear them with everything! I bought a pair of Nicole neutral wedges back in 2005 and I wore them so much. I finally replaced them this year with a pair of Franco Sarto's. If you're going to splurge on some shoes, these will give you some real mileage.


10) Naturally Knotty Tote: I am so in love with this tote, and the funny thing is I don't have one :( But boy do I covet! They are made of upcycled fabrics and recycled plastic water bottles. But that's not the best part, the best part is that they are huge, have tons of pockets, can hold your entire life, are durable and can be wiped out and easily cleaned. They are perfect for the market, school or work, a travel carry-on, or a beach or pool tote. I'd use it as a travel and beach tote to our destination wedding, as a carry-all bag for work travel, and as a travel tote for our March honeymoon in Peru!


What are your favorite pics? Share them below!


xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment