Aston Martin Cygnet, brand defining or brand diluting?

Friday, May 27, 2011
photo credit: Autobloggreen

In response to government regulation and pressure regarding emissions, Aston Martin has come out with the Cygnet, a Smart Car-esq spin off of their revered and coveted current line up of droolworthy super cars. The interior appears to be luxurious and well-equipped, but is Aston diluting their James Bond worthy brand with this new move?

Bloomberg: Aston Martin Departs from Tradition with Cygnet

I'm all for sustainability, after all I live in Portland, in a LEED building, I eat organic, and I work with a solar energy start-up. At the end of the day, I love brands, and I eat market strategy for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I also love Aston Martin, it's the stuff of dreams, sleek, high-end and impressive without being audacious or obnoxious. They've never needed to boast, because they just do it better. Like the guys on Top Gear say (the British version), Aston Martin is the guy at the bar sipping his scotch and quietly working on the crossword while Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati and the other super car brands duke it out for superiority. Then Aston quietly puts down his drink and takes them outside for a (refined and thorough) ass whooping.

I don't see the Cygnet taking any names, I see it quietly waiting in line at stoplights, with a hipster behind the wheel. I think Aston Martin would have been better suited to a more Tesla-type line. Nobody can get their hands on a Tesla, and everybody wants one, just like Aston Martins. Now that is cool people.

0 comments:

Post a Comment