Toro Bravo: Spanish Inspired Tapas in NE Portland

Monday, March 14, 2011
Toro Bravo is a Spanish-inspired tapas restaurant on NE Russel St near the popular Russell St. BBQ. The plates are small, but shareable. The prices are moderate, but if you're really hungry your bill will get high quickly, especially since you'll be ordering and sharing multiple items.

There is guaranteed to be a wait here, while I'd argue it's worth the wait, it's pretty substantial, even on weeknights. They only take reservations for groups of 7 or more, and it's walk-ins only on Fridays and Saturdays. Arrive early or later on these nights if you've got a big group. I found the tips on Foursquare to be pretty accurate, so check them out if you're checking in.

What I ate:
Spanish anchovies fried with fennel and lemon
North African sausage with french fries, harissa and sour cream
bacon and manchego burger with romesco and pickled vegetables
almond ice cream with espresso

I should have regarded the Foursquare tips on desserts, I don't particularly recommend the almond ice cream with espresso, at least against the other menu offerings! But I might have developed a bit of a burger crush at Toro Bravo...can you blame me?

On my next trip I plan to get the paella and the bacon wrapped dates. Who's with me?

0 comments:

Post a Comment