Hankering for a night in? Start with Portland Farmer's market!

Saturday, March 19, 2011
After an action packed Saturday, I was feeling a bit tired by dinnertime, but I still wanted to make a yummy dinner. Why? When I returned home, my guy about town had a surprise for me, a 2 lb bag of gorgeous steamer clams and a Delphina's Bakery baguette from the Portland Farmer's Market! I'm lucky enough to live 2 blocks from the market, which is every Saturday March - December. So a Saturday morning leisurely stroll around the market for a coffee, some pastries, and some produce for the week is one of my little luxuries. Sometimes I even treat myself to a big bouquet of flowers.
Needless to say, I had to make these clams! I'm one of those people who really enjoys shellfish, save for oysters and there's a story behind that which I'll spare you. I think there are a few recipes every girl and guy about town should be able to whip up perfectly when called upon, for me, one of these is a fantastic steamer clam recipe. It's not perfect yet, but here's a reliable one that you can usually make with stuff you've already got lying around:

1/2 cup butter (use the real stuff)
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups dry white wine (this means chardonnay, but I'm not a fan, so I cheat with pinot gris)
2-3 T fresh oregano (1 T dried if no fresh)
2 T fresh parsley (1 T dried)1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional if you want some kick to it)

In a large pot (I like to use a stockpot), melt the butter. Add the garlic and stir around briefly. pour in wine, add seasonings. Add clams and put lid on. Steam until all the clams have opened. Serve them in soup bowls with their broth ladled over them and crusty bread for dipping. If you've got fresh parsley to chop and sprinkle over the top that's pretty good too. Have with the remainder of the wine.
Also try adding: diced tomatoes, cooked pancetta, sausage, fingerling potatoes, pinch of saffron.

And if that doesn't make you hungry, here's a pic, along with daffodils from the market :)

Like the Wineworks glasses? ;)

Portland Farmer's Market
Saturdays, March 19 through December 17
8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (Mar. through Oct.), 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (Nov. & Dec.)
PSU Campus: SW Park Ave & SW Montgomery St

Just a few of my favorite stops at the market. Sadly I can't remember the name of the stand where I get the clams from. I know her when I see her. I'll try to update this next time I'm there.

Cafe Velo Coffee
I love how their website shows a picture of B-line, one of my fave Portland start-ups!

Alma Chocolates

Their store is located on NE 28th off Glisan. Their caramel sauces, the lavender caramel in particular, will change your life.

Jacob's Creamery

Creme Fraiche, marscapone, a variety of cheeses and an amazingly light and decadent blue cheese spread with cranberries.

Nut-tricious Foods
Fabulous soy nut butters and other nut butters that are super healthy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment