"Holla"...at Ya-Hala. Lebanese fare, with elbow room to spare!

Friday, April 3, 2009
When you walk into Ya-Hala (8005 SE Stark) they'll let you know that in Lebanon, "Ya-hala" means "Welcome." So in Portland "Ya-hala" means "Welcome...to my stomach."

This holds true for all Lebanese restaurants, come hungry. Previously, my only real experience with Lebanese eateries in Portland has been the famous (and magically delicious) Nicola's on SE Grand (as well as SE Broadway); where the accommodations are cramped, the pitas runneth over, and the middle eastern beats are jammin'. So needless to say I was pretty stoked to eat at Ya-Hala, finally a place to get kebabs and tabbouli where I wouldn't have to wait on the side of NE Grand Ave, observing failed attempts to park in the Andy and Bax lot. Also, Ya-Hala is Zagat-rated!

After a moderate wait (to be expected on a Friday night) I started with the Veggie Mezza, which consisted of the usual small plates of hummus, tabbouli and baba ghanouj, in addition to other faves, dolmas (stuffed grape leaves), falafel, and Aranabeet, which is essentially friend cauliflower.

For an entree, I had the Moughrabeih, which was very tender braised beef and chicken along side a bowl of couscous mixed with chickpeas and spices and a side of yogurt.

Although it was all very tasty, and reasonably priced. (The entire gut-busting meal for two totaled 25.00, and you can purchase a bottle of wine for as little as $18) I was not blown away. The food was good and tasted very fresh, but it seemed to be missing that little kick or unique "Je ne sais quoi" that we all hope to find at a new restaurant. The service was ok, the tabouli was good, the hummus was decent, and so on and so forth. But I left Ya-Hala without the brimming tales of culinary wonderment and delight that I so often find at Portland eateries. It was not so delicious that I wanted to (and succeeded in) consuming the garnish.

If you are looking for some decent, affordable food on the east side, Ya-Hala is definitely an option, I would recommend it for an impromptu dinner out, a treat for lunch, or something affordable and different, but I would notqueue up on the sidewalk outside to get in.

1 comments:

  1. Unknown said...:

    Another good Lebanses restaraunt is Al-Amir's located on SW 2nd and Stark (233 SW Stark St). It is a convinent lunch location for downtown workers and serves lots of yummy humas delights. I have only eaten there with a large groups during lunch meetings. They serve up a great smorgus board for parties of 6-12 people. I'm not sure what there standard dinner menu is like, but it is worth checking out.

Post a Comment